THIS ARTICLE FIRST APPEARED ON BULLETPROOF.
As soon as that first fall breeze kicks up the leaves, our minds shift from swimming and cookouts to warm sweet spices and fluffy blankets. Autumn harvest time also means pumpkin season is in full swing, and pumpkin desserts are pure happiness.
Pumpkin not only makes your taste buds happy, it makes your cells happy, too. Pumpkin is one of the richest sources of carotenoids, specifically beta-carotene, at 17mg of beta-carotene per serving. It also has lutein and lycopene for an extra antioxidant boost. Carotenoids have all kinds of superpowers, including keeping your brain young, supporting your vision, and protecting against breast cancer. Combine it with blood-sugar stabilizing cinnamon and other warm spices, and you have a nutritional powerhouse as your dessert.
Most pumpkin treats are packed to the brim with sugars and sticky syrups, which negate all the goodness pumpkin has to offer. This Pumpkin Pie Parfait skips the sugar and marries carotenoid-rich pumpkin with healthy fats from coconut whipped cream to help your body absorb all of the pumpkin’s nutrients.
Being Bulletproof means enjoying every season of life, cozy treats and all.
Protein-Packed Pumpkin Pie Parfait
Makes 4 servings
- ½ cup organic pumpkin puree
- 2/3 cup full-fat coconut cream from canned coconut milk, chilled overnight
- 1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 2 Pumpkin Spice Collagen Protein Bars, crushed
- Stevia or Bulletproof sweetener of choice, to taste
- Open can of coconut milk without shaking or incorporating, scoop cream layer (on top) into a small bowl.
- Make pumpkin mousse by combining pumpkin puree, sweetener, 2 tbsp. coconut cream and pumpkin pie spice in a medium bowl.
- Using a hand mixer, whip until smooth and silky. If the mixture is too thick, add 1-2 tbsp. of liquid from the bottom of the coconut cream can.
- Lightly press a layer of crushed Pumpkin Spice Collagen Protein Bars into the base of each dessert cup (ramekin, parfait cup, 4 oz. mason jars all work well).
- Scoop or pipe 1 tbsp. pumpkin pie mousse on top of the crumb base.
- Layer 1 tbsp. coconut cream on top of the mousse layer.
- Repeat steps 3 through 5 once more, and top with a sprinkle of Pumpkin Spice Collagen Protein Bar crumbs. Enjoy!
Nutrition Information (per serving)
Serving size: 4 servings