THIS ARTICLE FIRST APPEARED ON MOTHER EARTH LIVING.
Get the best of both worlds with this edible body scrub that provides exquisite exfoliation.
At the end of the day, all I really want is to play with my food. The ultimate wildness is in play, in opening up to every possibility of fun and flavor and texture. Of course, this applies just as much to body and beauty experiments as it does to kitchen adventures. Which is why I had to bring you at least one entirely edible body scrub.
This skin-brightening exfoliator is made with coconut oil, sugar, citrus zests, and orange blossom water, creating a heady concoction that will leave you refreshed and inspired. The oils from citrus zest prepare the skin for exfoliation even as they awaken your mind and nervous system. As antioxidant vitamin C from the citrus works its magic to soften dead skin cells, sugar swoops in to wash everything away. Orange blossom adds mellow notes of romance and whimsy. This is the scrub to make when you want eternal summer sunshine in your heart, and a dance of light on your skin.
Yes, it is 100 percent edible. Yes, if you eat it while you’re using it you may also be eating dead skin cells (your own, or anyone else’s your paws are on). Yes, it’ll still taste pretty darn good. Don’t say you weren’t warned.
Disclaimer/Warning: If you’re exposed to sun directly after using citrus on skin, you may experience severe burning or irritation. Make sure to wash your skin well after application, wait at least several hours before exposing yourself to the sun, and always apply sunscreen for protection. Moreover, excessive use of citrus on skin can cause lightening, so don’t use citrus more than once a week.
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1-1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon melted raw virgin coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon orange blossom water
- Combine the citrus zests, lemon juice, and sugar in a small bowl. Add the oil and stir to combine. Stir in the orange blossom water. Mix completely, then transfer to an airtight container.
- Apply liberally to the body. Do not use on the face.
- Store up to 1 week at room temperature, out of sunlight, or in the fridge for up to 1 month.